“Below the Belt,” an art exhibition organized by MASS Visual Arts, opens at the Top Secret Space (22 N. Main St. in Gainesville) on March 3 at 7p.m. and runs through Friday, March 30.
From multiple submissions, more than 20 artists were chosen with regards to their interpretation of the theme “Below the Belt” as set forth in an open call to artists who reside in the Southeastern U.S., many of them from Gainesville and the surrounding area.
MASS Visual Arts was conceived to produce and present creative, theme-based exhibitions to provoke, inspire and challenge the thoughts, conversations and dreams of the Gainesville community.
The organization emerged from the summer 2011 exhibition “The American Dream,” curated by Bill Bryson, director of Grow Radio. The exhibition featured more than 50 artists from the United States and abroad. Bryson said, “The response was electrifying,” and the resulting dialogue within the creative community inspired a group of artists to create MASS to continue to offer necessary support for the advancement of the contemporary art scene in Gainesville and North Florida.
Operating hours for the show are as follows:
- March 3, Saturday – Opening Reception – 7p.m. to 11p.m.
- March 10, Saturday – 5p.m. to 10p.m.
- March 11, Sunday – 12p.m. to 6p.m.
- March 17, Saturday – 5p.m. to 10p.m.
- March 18, Sunday – 12p.m. to 6p.m.
- March 24, Saturday – 5p.m. to 10p.m.
- March 25, Sunday – 12p.m. to 6p.m.
- March 30, Friday – Closing Reception and Art Walk – 7p.m. to 11p.m.