• Abortion is a bread-and-butter economic issue. We need to treat it that way
by Rebecca Solnit | The Guardian | Nov 3 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1481
Parenthood, criminality or death: these are now the all-too-expensive options for many women in the wake of the Dobbs decision. Abortion is an economic issue, a labor issue, a human rights issue and a healthcare issue.
• Abortion rights won in every state it was on the ballot. Let’s keep doing that
by Joan McCarter | Daily Kos | Nov. 10 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1489
Abortion rights are six for six in 2022, with voters in three states ensconcing the right and three fighting off efforts by Republican lawmakers to further restrict them.
• An out trans man was just elected to a State Legislature for the first time ever
by Anya Zoledziowski | VICE News | Nov. 9 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1490
The historic victory is part of a “rainbow wave.” James Roesener, a trans man and a 26-year-old Democrat, won New Hampshire’s 22nd State House District, Ward 8.
• Iranian protesters deserve the unwavering support of the international left
by Khosrow Golsorkhi | Jacobin | Nov. 8 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1480
The international left should affirm Iranian protesters’ feminist and democratic message of “Women, Life, Freedom.” If we don’t, we risk ceding the public discourse to neoconservatives and liberal hawks who will use the protests for their own purposes.
• Jon Stewart and advocates who pushed to aid veterans should get Presidential Medal of Freedom, Sen. Gillibrand tells Biden
by New York Daily News | Nov. 10 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1492
Jon Stewart and fellow advocates who cajoled Congress into passing legislation to help veterans sickened by massive burn pits overseas deserve the Presidential Medal of Freedom, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand said.
• Lula must save Brazil from savage capitalism says Federal Deputy Juliana Cardoso
by Vijay Prashad and Zoe Alexandra | Independent Media Institute | Nov. 10 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1478
Thirty percent of Brazilians live below the poverty line. They recently chose a new president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, known as Lula, a former labor organizer an founding member of the country’s Workers’ Party. Will he be able to lead the charge to save Brazil from savage capitalism?
• Republicans thought they were going to win big. Then they didn’t.
by Cameron Joseph | VICE News | Nov. 9 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1491
Democrats outperformed expectations and won nearly every tossup race as they fought to hang onto Congress.
• The Dobbs effect is real: Voters, still angry about Roe overturn, turned out to protect abortion
by Amanda Marcotte | Salon | Nov. 9 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1495
The results of Tuesday’s midterm are a mixed bag. It’s hard to discern definitive answers about much, since voters broke every which way all over the country. But one conclusion can be drawn without caveat: abortion rights are wildly popular. And Americans are still ready to step up and vote to protect them where they can.
• The House is getting a bunch of new progressives
by Paul Blest | VICE News | Nov. 9 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1493
Winners include the youngest person ever elected to the chamber and a Pennsylvania candidate who was heavily targeted by the American Israel Public Affairs Committee.
• Trump’s handpicked candidates just got destroyed – and screwed the GOP
by Cameron Joseph | VICE News | Nov. 9 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1494
Democrats’ surprisingly strong election night came because Trump backed a bunch of conspiracist duds.
• “Women, life, freedom”: The significance of Iran’s women-led movement
by Ava Torkaman | The McGill International Review | Nov. 7 | tinyurl.com/Iguana1479
On Sept. 16, a 22-year-old Kurdish-Iranian woman died after being taken away by morality police for improper wear of the hijab. Since then, Iran has seen the rise of a widespread protest: the “Women, Life, Freedom Movement.” Iranians are vocalizing their frustrations to an unprecented degree.
and …. Check out Larkin Poe
Gainesville hosted the BSH Fest Saturday, Nov. 12. Larkin Poe was a real highlight … not a band of notoriety, but of immense talent and presence. So here you go. Check out a rocking 90-minute set of theirs from a Paris concert at tinyurl.com/Iguana1497